I currently live in Northeast Pennsylvania with my husband and two kids, but I’m originally from the Midwest. I grew up in Northeast Wisconsin (Go Pack Go!) and spent many years living in Iowa after graduating from Luther College.
While attending graduate school, I got a part-time job at Barnes and Noble as a children’s bookseller and fell in love with children’s literature. I soon discovered that I enjoyed reading picture books much more than scholarly articles. Much, much more.
After my kids were born, I rediscovered my love for picture books during our 3 hour bedtime routine. When they finally started sleeping, I started writing.
Now I spend my days working part-time in a 5/6th grade science classroom and writing picture books. When I’m not working, I enjoy hanging out with my family, going to movies, hiking, kayaking, reading, and visiting bookstores or libraries.
Other fun facts…
- We have a dog named Gus, a cat named Norman, and a goldfish named Bacon.
- My first job was selling concessions at a movie theater. No, it’s not real butter.
- I read the Harry Potter series every couple years and I cry every time.
- When I say I love baking, what I really mean is I love eating what I bake. Or eating whatever anyone else bakes. Really, I just love baked goods.
- I was awarded a fellowship to attend graduate school, but I left after a year to work in Youth and Family Ministry.
- I grew up near Lake Michigan and the beach is still one of my favorite places to go.
- My husband and I once did a triathlon together. We registered as a co-ed team, but before announcing the winners the people in charge said we’d get a medal if we switched to the family division. It’s the only medal either of us have ever won in a sporting event.
- I’m Type A which means I need to think of 2 more fun facts because ending a list on 8 would keep me up at night.
- I always wanted to live in a cabin in the middle of the woods and now I do.
- I own a chicken coop but no chickens. I see this as a problem. My husband does not.